Western University of Health Sciences

Policies & Procedures

Policy: Vendors, Contractors and Service Providers - Insurance Requirements
Policy Information

Title: Vendors, Contractors and Service Providers - Insurance Requirements

Policy Number: A2.13.50.9

Responsible Department: University Financial Services & Treasury

Policy Contact

Magsino, Chique Lingao

Risk Management Associate


Policy Dates

Effective Date: 2010-03-08

Next Review Date: 2013-03-08

Approval Date: 2013-08-05 14:57:55.0

Policy Statement

It is policy of Western University of Health Sciences (WesternU), University Financial Services & Treasury, Office of Risk Management that all vendors conducting business with the University must provide evidence of insurance prior to commencement of work.

Purpose of Policy

To ensure that vendors doing business with the University maintain insurance as necessary to reasonably protect the financial interests of the University.

Related Policy Information

All contractors, vendors or service providers coming on to University premises to do work or provide services are required to have insurance. Insurance is necessary to cover any claims or losses for which the contractor/vendor may be responsible. Departments should request a Certificate of Insurance from the contractor or vendor prior to the beginning of work and/or the start of a contract. The Certificate of Insurance must provide evidence of general liability, automobile liability, and worker's compensation insurance. The insurance coverage must meet minimum standards as outlined below.

There may be certain situations where an exposure is deemed either insignificant or more significant and Risk Management will review the situations, as needed, and make adjustments to the basic insurance requirements to fit a particular situation. Examples of this exception may include, but not limited to large and complex construction projects and goods/services where exposure to a financial loss is negligible. Risk Management reserves the right to consider each situation and to consider exceptions or to require additional coverage or the limits of liability as necessary.

All parties required to show evidence of satisfactory insurance coverage must provide the University a Certificate of Insurance evidencing compliance with all requirements.

The Certificates must:

 Minimum Insurance Requirements

Renewal Certificates of Insurance shall be provided annually to the University until all work/service is completed.

Note: Departments should forward the University's Insurance Requirements (Printable version is available on the Risk Management intranet and internet page) to the vendors/contractors who are providing services or using University facilities and premises. The vendor/contractor in turn should forward the University's Minimum Insurance Requirements to their insurance agent or broker for compliance with the requirements set forth.

A copy of the vendor's, contractor's or service provider's Certificate of Insurance must be sent to Risk Management for review and to ensure compliance with the insurance requirements prior to commencement of any work on campus or the use of University's facilities. The original Certificate of Insurance is to be filed with the Department or College utilizing the vendor or contractor.

Any questions related to the University's insurance requirements should be directed to the Risk Management Office at 469-5452.




Related Policies:
University Activities and Projects - View